Unbelievable Luxury Awaits: InterContinental Quanzhou - Your Dream Getaway!
Unbelievable Luxury Awaits: InterContinental Quanzhou - My Brain Dump (and Honest Review)
Alright, people, settle in. Forget polished travel brochures. You're getting me. I just got back from the InterContinental Quanzhou, and trust me, my brain is still trying to process the sheer… stuff that's crammed into this place. "Unbelievable Luxury?" Yeah, they're not kidding. But let's unpack this crazy suitcase of a hotel, shall we? Buckle up – this is gonna be long.
First, the Essentials (and the Surprisingly Okay Ones):
Let's get the boring bits out of the way. Accessibility? Okay, they try. I'd give it a solid "mostly." Elevators are plentiful, but navigating the sprawling grounds might be a bit tricky if you're relying solely on a wheelchair. Wheelchair accessible rooms definitely exist, I saw them, but I’d advise calling ahead to confirm specific needs are met. Internet… Okay, so they have Wi-Fi everywhere. FREE Wi-Fi in all rooms! Praise be! I’m a digital nomad at heart, and the thought of patchy internet sends shivers down my spine. I tested it – streaming, video calls, the whole shebang – and it held up like a champ. There's also Internet [LAN], for you old-school folks, but honestly, who uses those things anymore?
The Cleanliness & Safety Stuff (Cue the Deep Breath):
Okay, this is where I became that person. You know, the germaphobe. Traveling during… gestures vaguely at the world situation… brings out the worst in me. But the InterContinental Quanzhou actually impressed. They're clearly taking Cleanliness and safety seriously. Anti-viral cleaning products? Check. Daily disinfection in common areas? Check. Hand sanitizer EVERYWHERE you turn? Check, check, check! They even have Room sanitization opt-out available, which I appreciate. Rooms sanitized between stays? They are doing it. They're taking it seriously. The whole place felt…well…clean. Now for those that love them fancy extras: Cashless payment service? Yes! Physical distancing of at least 1 meter? Mostly. The Staff are trained in safety protocol and the Safe dining setup gave me a bit of peace of mind. The doctor/nurse on call, first aid kit and Smoke detectors and Fire extinguishers had me feeling like a hypochondriac, but hey, better safe than sorry, right? They had Sterilizing equipment, which sounds intense, and I felt safer knowing.
Eating, Drinking, & Snacking (My Personal Research Mission):
This is where the InterContinental Quanzhou REALLY shows off. Dining, drinking, and snacking: This is where my inner piglet comes out. Let's start with the restaurants. Plural. Many, many restaurants. A la carte in restaurant, Buffet in restaurant, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Desserts in restaurant, International cuisine in restaurant, Restaurants. I tried all of them. (Okay, maybe not all of them, but I gave it a good shot.)
The Asian cuisine in restaurant was a particular highlight. The flavors! The textures! The sheer artistry of the presentations! I could have happily lived there for a week just sampling the different dumplings alone. They even have a Vegetarian restaurant! And the Western cuisine in restaurant was surprisingly good. Honestly, I was expecting some watered-down version of…well…everything, but it was legit. Breakfast [buffet]? Absolutely phenomenal. My go-to? The Asian breakfast. You can get a Breakfast takeaway service and a Breakfast in room.
And the Poolside bar? Heaven. Imagine yourself lounging by a sparkling Swimming pool [outdoor], sipping something fruity and ridiculously overpriced, and completely, blissfully, unbothered. Happy hour is a must. The bartender makes a killer margarita, by the way. And if you need a quick bite, they have a Snack bar and Coffee shop. Room service [24-hour]? I’m pretty sure I ordered everything on the menu at 3 AM. They’re not kidding.
(Honestly, I’m starting to suspect they designed this place for people like me – food-obsessed gluttons with a penchant for overpriced cocktails.)
Relaxation and "Things to Do" (The Important Bits):
Right, let’s talk stress relief. I needed it after getting stuck at the airport on the way there… that's a story for another time. The Spa… oh, the Spa/sauna… the Steamroom… the Sauna. Okay, the whole shebang is amazing.
I indulged in a Body scrub (deliciously gritty), a Body wrap (made me feel like a pampered burrito), and a Massage. That massage… it was the best I’ve ever had. I'm not kidding. My masseuse, bless her cotton socks, kneaded all my worries away. I actually fell asleep. I'm not sure what they put in that Spa, but consider me a convert.
There's also a Fitness center – I, uh, looked at it. Okay, I walked past it. Twice. I’m not exactly a gym bunny. They have a Pool with view. So, if you are into fitness, there’s the Gym/fitness.
Beyond the spa, you can relax pretty much anywhere. The Terrace is a lovely spot to watch the sunset. The Indoor venue for special events and the Outdoor venue for special events are beautiful. It’s just… gorgeous. You can let go of your stress here.
My Room (The Royal Treatment):
My jaw actually dropped when I walked into my room. The Non-smoking room was spacious, with Air conditioning in public area and Air conditioning! It’s a Non-smoking room (thank goodness!), and I was on a High floor, which meant incredible views. They had Separate shower/bathtub which are perfect for a relaxing stay. There’s Extra long bed and the Bed was so comfy! They gave us Bathrobes and Slippers! There are Slippers!
Of course, there was a Coffee/tea maker and Complimentary tea and Free bottled water! I was hooked on that tea. And all those extras? Additional toilet, Alarm clock, Closet, Desk, Hair dryer, Mirror, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Satellite/cable channels, Seating area, Shower, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Wake-up service, Window that opens and Linens.
I mean, it’s a luxury hotel, right? But some things were just… extra. For example, little things you wouldn't expect: Blackout curtains (essential for beating jet lag), Laptop workspace. They really thought of everything. They even had a Scale, just to make sure you're keeping track of all the delicious food you're ingesting.
The Nitty-Gritty: Services & Conveniences:
Okay, let’s run through the rest of the list:
- Air conditioning in public area – essential.
- Audio-visual equipment for special events – if you’re planning a wedding, go for it.
- Business facilities – they have Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, and Seminars etc. for those of you who do business.
- Cash withdrawal – convenient.
- Concierge – super helpful.
- Contactless check-in/out – a godsend these days.
- Convenience store – for snacks and essentials.
- Currency exchange – handy.
- Daily housekeeping – my room was immaculate.
- Doorman – always welcoming.
- Dry cleaning & Ironing service & Laundry service – perfect for the well-heeled traveler.
- Elevator – thankfully.
- Essential condiments – because apparently, I need ketchup at 3 AM.
- Facilities for disabled guests – as discussed above.
- Food delivery – because choices.
- Gift/souvenir shop – for those last-minute presents.
- Indoor venue for special events & Outdoor venue for special events - perfect for weddings, etc.
- Invoice provided – if you're on a business trip, great.
- Luggage storage – useful.
- Meeting stationery – if you need it.
- On-site event hosting – weddings, conferences, you name it.
- Projector/LED display
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your grandma's meticulously planned itinerary. We're going to Quanzhou, China! And we're doing it my way, which means embracing the beautiful chaos. We're talking InterContinental Quanzhou by IHG, so we're at least starting classy…or at least, pretending to be.
The "Yeah, We're Doing This" Quanzhou Adventure - Or At Least Trying To
Day 1: Arrival - Jet Lag, Dim Sum Dreams, and Questionable Translations.
- 6:00 AM (Beijing Time, let's be honest, it feels like 3:00 AM): Arrive at Jinjiang Airport (JJN). The air is thick, smells vaguely of… something fried? Probably not a bad sign, I hope. The customs official gave me this look like I was personally responsible for the global chip shortage. I swear, I smiled! I think. Sleep deprivation makes me a grump.
- 7:00 AM: Transfer to the InterContinental Quanzhou. The taxi driver… well, let's just say my Mandarin extends to "xie xie" and "ni hao." Google Translate became my best friend and my worst enemy. Half the conversation was lost in the translation abyss. Arrived at heaven (The hotel) The lobby is HUGE. Crystal chandeliers, marble floors… I'm already feeling less like a rumpled travel mess.
- 8:00 AM: Check-in. The staff is impeccably polite. I love a good hotel staff who can handle my sleep-deprived, bewildered expression. I think I accidentally complimented the concierge's shoes. They were very shiny, though.
- 9:00 AM: Finally, the room! Stunning view, plush bed… I could practically hear it calling my name. But first, DIM SUM! Gotta fuel the adventure, right?
- 9:30 AM: The dim sum experience… ah, a true test of cultural understanding. I pointed, I guessed, and I devoured. Some triumphs (amazing little pork buns), some… less so (mystery meat dumpling #3, still not quite sure what it was). Sat next to a very old man in teahouse, he never notice I can't understand his words, and I smile back. I think we understood each other.
- 11:00 AM - 3 PM: Nap time. Jet lag wins. No shame. I deserve it. Did dream about being chased by a giant, sentient dumpling. Weird.
- 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM: Wandering around the hotel. The pool is gorgeous. Thinking about a dip later, but the thought of chlorine feels a little harsh right now. Exploring the hotel grounds with my camera, which ended up in a very strange conversation with a very enthusiastic gardener about the “beautifulness” of a particular shrub. I’m still not sure what it was, but I agreed wholeheartedly. Felt oddly fulfilling.
- 6:00 PM: Dinner - The hotel restaurant, hoping for something simple after the mystery meat incident. Ordered “roasted duck.” It was, shall we say, elaborate. The quantity of it made me sweat. Delicious, though. The waiter's face was a picture when I managed to eat almost the entire thing. I tipped him generously. Might need to start doing more cardio!
- 8:00 PM: Attempting to watch a movie in English on the TV. Gave up. The subtitles, the dubbing, the sheer noise of it all… turned into a staring contest with the ceiling. Ended up drifting off to sleep. Again.
Day 2: Temples, Tea Ceremonies, and the Persistent Quest for Decent Coffee
- 7:00 AM: Wake up feeling…slightly less like death warmed over. Coffee, coffee, where are you? The hotel room coffee maker is…pathetic. The quest for a decent caffeine fix begins!
- 8:00 AM: Breakfast buffet. Overwhelmed by the choices. Tried everything. Regretted nothing. Except maybe the durian flavored something-or-other. Just… no.
- 9:00 AM: Visit Kaiyuan Temple. Stunning, ancient, and utterly breathtaking. Wandered around, absorbed in the serenity of the place. Watched monks chanting. Feeling genuinely humbled. Felt a profound sense of peace, which was immediately shattered by a rogue pigeon attempting to steal my breakfast pastry. I swear, the pigeons here are brazen.
- 11:00 AM: Found a tiny tea shop and stumbled into a tea ceremony. Beautiful! The tea was fragrant, the ceremony was so calming, which was interrupted by me spilling tea all over myself. The tea master just smiled. I think he's seen it all. I felt like a complete idiot, but the tea was still great!
- 1:00 PM: Lunch - Found a local noodle place. The noodles were AMAZING. The language barrier? Epic. Managed to order by pointing and making vague hand gestures. Success! Felt like a true local, until I accidentally ate something incredibly spicy. Tears. Lots of tears.
- 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM: Exploring the city, got lost, saw some amazing architecture, stopped at a street vendor for some unknown snack (fried, again!), which was remarkably tasty and then got lost again. Quanzhou is a maze! The people are lovely.
- 6:00 PM: Finally found a decent coffee shop. Victory! The baristas looked surprised to see a foreigner and I’m pretty sure they didn’t have a clue how to use the espresso machine, but the resulting beverage was nectar of the gods. Sat for an hour, just enjoying the simple pleasure of caffeine and people-watching.
- 7:00 PM: Dinner. Another lovely hotel restaurant. Trying to eat lighter tonight, but the food is so tempting. Might have to order a second dessert. Don't judge me.
- 9:00 PM: Back in the room, watching the city lights twinkle. Realized I haven't taken a single photo that doesn't involve food. Clearly, my priorities are in order.
Day 3: Markets, More Food, and the bittersweet feeling of leaving.
- 8:00 AM: Final breakfast buffet. Trying to savor every last bite! Considering smuggling some pastries in my suitcase. Maybe.
- 9:00 AM: Visit the Market. HOLY. COW. Chaos, color, smells, and a complete assault on the senses. I loved it. Tried haggling for something I didn’t even need. Lost. Bought some beautiful tea leaves anyway.
- 11:00 AM: Last-minute souvenir shopping. Finding gifts for everyone back home. Stressful, but rewarding.
- 12:00 PM: Lunch: One last, glorious feast. Something I don’t know what, and I’m not regretting it!
- 1:00 PM: Checkout. Saying goodbye to the hotel staff, who are probably relieved to see the back of me :)
- 2:00 PM: Transfer to the airport. Feeling a mixture of sadness and exhaustion. This trip has been a whirlwind. A joyous, messy, delicious whirlwind.
- 3:00 PM: Waiting for my flight. Thinking about the dumplings, the temples, the tea, and the sheer weirdness of it all. China, you've been a trip.
- 4:00 PM: Boarding the plane.
- 4:15 PM: The End… for now.
Final Thoughts:
Quanzhou is a place that gets under your skin. It's beautiful, chaotic, and challenging. It's a place where you'll laugh, you'll get lost, you'll eat things you can't pronounce… and you'll love every messy, imperfect, utterly human moment of it. I wouldn't change a thing. Except maybe the coffee situation. And the mystery meat dumplings. Okay, maybe a few things.
But seriously, go. Go to Quanzhou. And go yourself. Don't be afraid to get lost, make mistakes, and embrace the chaos. Because that's where the real adventure begins. I'm already planning my return!
Escape to Paradise: Scenic Hills Hotel, Dalhousie - Unforgettable Luxury Awaits!