Escape to Paradise: Sun, Sand & Las Canteras Beach, Gran Canaria!
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because we're about to dive headfirst into a review of Escape to Paradise: Sun, Sand, & Las Canteras Beach, Gran Canaria! and trust me, it’s a ride. I'm going to be brutally honest, folks, the good, the bad, and the "wait, did that really happen?" moments. My inner critic? She's off duty.
First Impressions & Accessibility (or, The Elevator Saga)
Let's be real, the name “Escape to Paradise” sets the bar high. Arriving, you're greeted by…well, I'll be honest, a slightly underwhelming lobby. Kind of…beige. But hey, you didn't come for the lobby, did you? You came for the sun, the sand, the…Las Canteras Beach! Which, I can confirm, is gorgeous. Seriously, it's right there, practically begging you to ditch your bags and run straight for the surf.
Now, about accessibility… I'm happy to report they TRY. There's an elevator (praise the lord!). But, and this is a BIG but, the elevator is tiny. Like, “holding a small child and your luggage will require some serious Tetris skills” tiny. And during peak hours? Forget about it. You’re basically playing elevator chicken with a gaggle of vacationers. So, while they say it's wheelchair accessible, I'd recommend calling ahead and double-checking the specifics. I did see a few folks with mobility issues managing, but it looked…tricky. They have facilities for disabled guests, which is great, but things like the pool access might be a bit of a struggle.
Rooms: The Good, the Slightly Less Good, and the Missing Toilet Paper (Rant Alert!)
Okay, the rooms? They're…fine. Air conditioning? Check. Free Wi-Fi (in all rooms!)? Double check! That’s a massive plus. The beds were comfy enough, I guess. Like, I slept. No complaints. They have blackout curtains, which were a godsend after a particularly enthusiastic happy hour (more on that later).
But here’s where things get a little…grindy. One day, there was a total absence of toilet paper. Like, gone. Poof. Vanished into the ether. I called down to reception (which, thankfully, was 24-hour), and they sorted it out…eventually. But still. Toilet paper, people! It's a basic human need! I’m guessing it was an off-day. The room generally was clean.
Speaking of essentials, the "free bottled water" touted in the description was…one bottle on arrival. After that, it was "make your own". Not a deal-breaker, but a little misleading. The “additional toilet” mentioned? Nope, at least not in my room.
And the soundproofing? Well…let’s just say I learned more about my neighbor's snoring habits than I ever wanted to know. (Soundproof rooms are listed, but it depends on the room).
Food, Glorious (Mostly) Food! (& The Mysterious Soup)
Alright, the food. This is where Escape to Paradise mostly shines.
- Breakfast Buffet: Solid. Lots of options (Western, Asian…yes, even Asian breakfast). They have a buffet in the restaurant, and breakfast in room is an option. Coffee? Plentiful. Bacon? Crispy. What more could you want in the morning?
- Restaurants: Several to choose from! There's international cuisine, local Canary Island dishes…and the pool bar. That's where I spent a significant amount of time.
- The Poolside Bar: The pool bar is a MUST. Seriously. They make a mean cocktail (try the mojito – trust me). And the poolside setting? Heavenly. You can order drinks to your sun lounger – pure bliss. The happy hour deals are especially tempting.
- The…Soup? Okay, there was this one soup. I think it was supposed to be a tomato soup. But it tasted like…slightly-flavored water. I suspect it was a long forgotten vegetable that decided to take a bath in water.
Activities and Relaxation: Sunshine, Spas, and Semi-Successful Workouts
The hotel boasts a fitness center (gym/fitness), a spa, a sauna, and a steam room. I attempted the fitness center. It was… functional. (The air conditioning was a bit too functional, I nearly froze.) I didn't see fit to use their gym equipment. I did spend more time in the spa.
Spa Time: The spa (Spa/sauna) was the real deal. A decent massage? Yes! The sauna and steam room? Glorious. And the pool with a view? Stunning. (The pool is outdoor)
Things To Do: The hotel offers a service that can arrange for things to do to enjoy the beach, as well as a variety of other activities.
- Las Canteras Beach: Right outside your door! Perfect for sunbathing, swimming, or just people-watching.
- Pool: (Outdoor swimming pool) It was great.
- Body Scrub: Yes, please! This was a surprisingly enjoyable experience.
- Body Wrap: Not my favorite, but hey, I tried it.
- Foot bath: A welcomed reprieve!
Cleanliness & Safety: Germs, Sanitizers, and Slight Paranoia
In these post-COVID times, cleanliness is king. Escape to Paradise makes a pretty good effort. Sanitizing equipment is in place. Rooms are sanitized between stays. Staff are trained in safety protocol. And there’s hand sanitizer everywhere! They even offer room sanitization opt-out. Physical distancing of at least 1 meter is encouraged.
They use antiviral cleaning products. Daily disinfection in common areas. They use professional-grade sanitizing services.
I felt reasonably safe. (However, the shared stationery removed is a bit extreme…)
Services & Conveniences: The Good, the Odd, and the “Wait, Really?”
- The Good: 24-hour front desk, concierge service, daily housekeeping, currency exchange, luggage storage, and…a gift shop! (Perfect for last-minute souvenirs.)
- The Odd: They have a shrine. A SHRINE! I'm genuinely curious about the story behind that.
- The “Wait, Really?”: They advertise "essential condiments"…which I’m assuming is ketchup and mayo. Maybe I'm missing something.
Getting Around: The Airport Shuffle and Beyond
Airport transfer is available (and a good idea). They have car park [on-site], and car park [free of charge]. (For the latter, it's a bit of a scramble during peak season). They also have taxi service available.
For the Kids (and Babysitting): Family Friendly Vibes
Babysitting service and kids facilities are available.
Internet Access, and the Wi-Fi Woes
Wi-Fi [free]. Yes. But it can be… temperamental. Sometimes it’s blazing fast. Other times, it’s slower than a sloth on tranquilizers. So, if you NEED reliable internet for work, maybe bring a backup plan (like, you know, your own mobile data). Internet access – LAN? I saw it! Don't know how good it is. Internet [LAN], Internet services, Wi-Fi in public areas, is a plus.
The Verdict: Should You Escape to Paradise?
It depends. If you're looking for perfection, maybe not. But if you're seeking a fun, relatively affordable beach vacation in a great location, with a solid pool, good food, and a few quirks that add to the charm, then YES.
The Quirks are the Charm: I’m being serious with that. I wasn’t expecting perfection, and I got a decent hotel with a few imperfections.
Overall, I give Escape to Paradise… a solid 7/10. Worth it? Absolutely. Will I remember the toilet paper situation forever? Probably. But would I go back? Absolutely.
Now, for the Sales Pitch (because, well, I'm supposed to):
Escape to Paradise: Your Gran Canarian Getaway Awaits!
Tired of the everyday grind? Craving sun-kissed skin, sandy toes, and the sound of the waves? Escape to Paradise: Sun, Sand & Las Canteras Beach, Gran Canaria! is calling your name!
Here's why YOU deserve this vacation:
- Beach Bliss at Your Doorstep: Step out of the hotel and onto the golden sands of Las Canteras Beach, one of Gran Canaria's most stunning stretches of coastline. Swim, sunbathe, or simply soak up the vibrant atmosphere.
- Spa Sensations: Indulge in pure relaxation at our luxurious spa. Melt away stress with a soothing massage, detox in the sauna, and refresh in the steam room.
- Culinary Delights: From fresh seafood at our restaurants to cocktails at the poolside bar during happy hour, your taste buds are in for a treat!
- Accessibility (with a little help): While we strive for accessibility, we want to be upfront: accessibility is a journey, not a destination, and we're always working on improving. If you need specific accessibility accommodations, please contact us
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your grandma's perfectly-polished itinerary. This is Las Canteras: The Good, the Bad, and the Slightly Sunburned. Prepare for emotional rollercoaster and a hefty dose of my unfiltered opinions.
Day 1: Arrival and the "Is This Really Happening?" Moment
Morning (The Flight from Hell): Okay, so the flight was delayed. Fine. Happens. But then they ran out of almond croissants! Seriously?! My pre-holiday zen was already cracking. Landed in Gran Canaria, bleary-eyed and craving carbs. Found myself gazing, jaw agape, at the palm trees lining the road. Honest Rating: Stressful. Then euphoric. 7/10.
Afternoon (Las Canteras, I Think I Love You): Checked into the Hotel Cordial Plaza Chica. (Charming, but the elevator sounded like a dying robot). Finally, finally, found myself on that legendary beach. The sand… it was almost too perfect. Seriously, like a CGI sand. Waves are gentle enough to not knock you over, a total win. Quirky reaction: This is it. THIS IS WHY I SPENT THE LAST SIX MONTHS MUMBING ABOUT ENDLESS COLD WEATHER. 10/10
Evening (Tapas and Tricky Conversations): Wander through the buzzing stalls of Las Canteras. Started with some (delicious) tapas at 'La Cofradia'. Ordered too much. Ate it all. (No regrets). Met a fellow traveler, "Brenda from Bristol" (or so she claimed). Talked about travel… which was great, and then "Brenda" started to push pyramid scheme "investment" with me. It was the perfect moment to escape and start my own adventure. Emotional Reaction: Utter bewilderment and a smidge of panic. 6/10.
Day 2: Sand, Surf, and a Seriously Sunburned Shoulder
Morning (The Ocean's Embrace and My Unforgiving Shoulders): Decided to try surfing. Foolish, I know. But how hard could it be? Answer: Very hard. The instructor was very nice (and very patient). I mostly looked like a beached whale. Anecdote: I fell, a lot. I swallowed half the Atlantic Ocean. And I got a SERIOUS sunburn on my shoulder. Still, the water was glorious. Opinionated Verdict: worth it. 8/10.
Afternoon (Beach Lounging Regret): Tried to pretend I was a glamorous beach person. Failed. My shoulder was screaming. The sun was relentless. Spent the rest of the day carefully applying aloe vera and people-watching. Observation: I saw one guy in a Speedo. Just saying. Emotional reaction: A mix of "ow, ow, ow" and slight jealousy of the people with perfect tans. 4/10.
Evening (Exploring the Local Cuisine): Wandered into a restaurant called "El Marinero." Fantastic seafood paella and local wine. The locals were friendly, the atmosphere was lively, and the food erased most of the day's mishaps. Messy Structure: This restaurant was almost the only reason to come to Gran Canaria. Opinionated Language: Divine. 10/10.
Day 3: The "Perfect" Day… And a Little Disaster
Morning (The Volcanic Hike That Wasn't): Planned a hike to a volcano I read about online. Got spectacularly lost. Spent two hours walking in circles, listening to my phone yell about "no GPS signal." Eventually, admitted defeat and found a charming little cafe and instead. Honest Rating: 5/10.
Afternoon (Beach Bliss, Take Two): Back to the beach! This time, armed with more sunscreen and a healthy dose of self-awareness. This was my redemption, reading a book, napping, and generally enjoying this day. Opinionated Language: I was ready to propose to the beach. 11/10.
Evening (Dinner with a View… and a Broken Camera): Found a romantic restaurant on the seafront. Spectacular views, perfect food. Took a bunch of photos… only to discover my camera had mysteriously died (and was full of sand). Emotional Reaction: Rage. Then acceptance. Then a resigned shrug. 7/10.
Day 4: The "Let's Do It Again" Day. And a Little More Disaster
Morning (A Trip to the Desert - or, The Sands Of Despair): Decided to go to the Maspalomas Sand Dunes. Magnificent! I loved it.. or loved it until I fell in it. Again. I looked around to see if anyone had noticed, they had. Honest Rating: Slightly embarrassing. 6/10.
Afternoon (Beach Bliss, Take Three): Back to the beach! This time, armed with more sunscreen and a healthy dose of self-awareness. This was my redemption, reading a book, napping, and generally enjoying this day. Opinionated Language: I was ready to propose to the beach. 11/10.
Evening (The Best Night): Wandered through the buzzing stalls of Las Canteras and joined the locals that were dancing, singing- and drinking! Absolutely great, and the memory sticked. Emotional Reaction: Pure joy. 15/10.
Day 5: Departure and the "I'll Be Back" Vow
Morning (Goodbye, Sunshine…For Now): Woke up. Pack. Last stroll along the beach. The sun felt warmer. The sand felt softer. The ocean seemed to whisper, "Come back." Emotional Reaction: A pang of sadness. But also, a quiet sense of contentment. 9/10.
Afternoon (Homeward Bound… with Sunburns and Memories): The flight home was on time. Almost. But I can't wait to come back, to the beach, to the adventures, to the madness. Final Verdict: Gran Canaria, you were a glorious mess. 10/10.
Important Notes:
- Sunscreen, my friend, sunscreen. You'll thank me later.
- Embrace the chaos. Things will go wrong. Just roll with it.
- Learn some basic Spanish. It will make life easier (and earn you some smiles).
- Don't be afraid to get lost. Sometimes, the best discoveries happen when you're wandering.
- Eat all the food. Seriously. All of it.
- MOST IMPORTANTLY: have FUN.
This itinerary is just a guide, a suggestion, a starting point. Make it your own. Go with the flow. And remember, the best travel stories are messy, honest, and full of unexpected joy.
Escape to the French Pyrenees: B&B Pau Lescar's Unbeatable Charm!Stumbling into Paradise: Your (Probably Messy) Guide to Las Canteras Beach
Okay, so Gran Canaria... Is it REALLY all that? Like, actually paradise?
Ugh, the pressure! Paradise. Big word. Look, let's be real, not *everything* is sunshine and rainbows. I mean, I got sunburnt on day one (seriously, who forgets sunscreen when the sun is basically yelling at you?). And the first few hours? A blur of jet lag, luggage chaos, and a desperate hunt for decent coffee. But... Las Canteras Beach? Yeah, it comes pretty darn close to paradise. Especially if your idea of paradise involves turquoise water, volcanic sand you can actually *sit* on without getting burned (unlike some beaches I've been to – ouch!), and a lively atmosphere that doesn't feel like a manufactured tourist trap.
It's a vibe. A glorious, slightly-sandy vibe. Just be prepared for the occasional rogue seagull trying to steal your churros. They’re relentless, those buggers.
What's this "natural reef" everyone keeps going on about? Is it actually good for snorkeling?
The reef? Oh, it's the star of the show, darling! This enormous, natural barrier protects the beach, making the water unbelievably calm and clear. It's like swimming in a giant, shimmering aquarium. Snorkeling? YES. Do it. Seriously, pack a mask. I saw the biggest, flashiest parrotfish I've ever laid eyes on. It was almost as if the fish knew how to pose. I had this moment of pure, unadulterated joy, and I thought, "This is why I travel."
Now, the 'messier' bit: I'm not particularly graceful. I faceplanted a couple of times while trying to get out there. And the current can be a bit sneaky, so be mindful. Don't be an idiot, like me, and try to swim against it directly – swim parallel to the shore first, duh. But even with the faceplants, the fish... the stunning, vibrant fish... completely worth it.
Tell me about these "chiringuitos" – are they tourist traps?
Chiringuitos! Ah, the beach bars. Okay, so, some are... well, a little *too* eager to sell you things. And the food prices can jump a bit depending on how close they are to the busiest parts of the beach. But the better ones? Absolute gems. Find one with tables right on the sand. Order a cold beer, a plate of papas arrugadas (wrinkled potatoes – don't knock 'em 'til you try 'em!), and then just... breathe. Let the waves and the chatter wash over you. It's pure bliss.
My advice: wander. Explore. Don't just plonk yourself at the first one you see. Look for the places that seem to have mostly locals. Trust me, the atmosphere is way more authentic (and the food is usually better!). Avoid the ones that scream about "English breakfasts" and "Full Irish". You didn't come to the Canary Islands for that! You came for Spanish/Canary cuisine, and a taste of authenticity.
Okay, but the sand. Is it like, actual beach sand, or that gritty stuff that gets EVERYWHERE?
Oh, the sand. It's volcanic, so it's dark and a bit coarse. Now, I’m a total sand-phobe. I hate the stuff. It's *always* in the wrong places. But the sand at Las Canteras? It's actually… pretty good. It doesn't stick to you like a clingy ex. It's firm enough to walk on comfortably, yet soft enough to sink your toes in. This is a major victory for someone like me. I could actually sit on the beach without wanting to immediately shower. A total win!
Also, it's *hot*. Which, you know, is good for sunbathing and sun-worshipping. Just remember that sunscreen. Seriously.
What about the crowds? Is it absolute mayhem?
Look, it's popular. Duh. It's a gorgeous beach in a fantastic location. You're going to encounter people. BUT... and it's a big but... it's not *overwhelmingly* crowded. The beach is HUGE. It stretches for miles, so you can usually find a spot to sprawl out. Yes, the area closest to the city center gets busy, especially on weekends, but walk a bit further down and you'll find more space.
My personal strategy? Go early. Sunrises on that beach are divine. Or go late and catch the sunset. Seriously, it’s worth setting your alarm (once the jetlag has faded). And avoid the mid-afternoon rush. You'll thank me later. Seriously, I saw one woman having a major meltdown over a lost towel because there were so many people that were basically sitting on top of everyone else. Avoid that scenario!
What if I want to escape the beach? What else is there to do?
Okay, listen up! The great thing about being on Las Canteras beach is that you're in the heart of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, a proper city. So, you've got options. You can wander through the Vegueta district, which is the oldest part of the city. Gorgeous, historic buildings, cute cafes, and tiny, winding streets. Get lost! (Not *too* lost, though – it’s easy to get turned around.) I stumbled upon a tiny little tapas bar in a hidden courtyard and the food was amazing. Best croquettes of my life.
Or, head to the Alfredo Kraus Auditorium – it is a stunning piece of architecture! There are museums, shopping, parks... You name it. It feels like a proper city, not just a resort. I spent a whole afternoon just wandering around and pretending I was a local. And then, after all that exploring, you come back and collapse on the beach. Perfect.
Any horror stories to share? Things to avoid?
Oh, the horror stories! Let me think... Well, as I mentioned, the sunburn. Lesson learned: wear sunscreen everywhere. And often. The sun is sneaky!
Also, the seagulls. Seriously, those winged bandits are relentless. Guard your food. And maybe consider earplugs if you're a light sleeper – the waves can get pretty loud at night. Oh, and the public transport. Okay, it's not a horror story, but it's… an experience. I once ended up on a bus that seemed to be doing a tour of the *entire* island. It was a bit of a comedy of errors on my part, involving lost tickets, a very confused driver, and a lot of pointing and gesturing. But hey, I got there eventuallyHotel Explorers