Batam Island Paradise Found: OYO 93667 Pelangi's Unbeatable Deal!
Batam Island Paradise Found: OYO 93667 Pelangi - My Batam Bonanza (or, How I Didn't Get Eaten by Mosquitos…Mostly)
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because I’m about to spill the tea, the kopi, and probably a little bit of my own sweat trying to navigate the Batam Island Paradise Found: OYO 93667 Pelangi. The title promises paradise, right? And while literal paradise might be a stretch (let’s be real, what is paradise anyway?), this place, with its so-long-it-needs-to-be-repeated-twice name, definitely had some seriously redeemable qualities. And let me tell you, in the world of budget travel, "redeemable" can be a godsend.
Accessibility - Or, My Quest for the Elevator (and Staying Upright)
Finding the Pelangi was a breeze. Getting into it… that was a different story. I booked a taxi from the ferry terminal – highly recommend, especially after a sweaty, slightly seasick crossing. The location itself? Smack-dab in the middle of the action – perfect for exploring, but be aware of the potential for… well, let's just say the general Batam hustle and bustle.
Now, about accessibility. This is where the review gets a little… uneven. The website claims facilities for disabled guests. I didn't see them. No ramps I spotted. The elevator? Well, let's just say it's not the most gracefully aged specimen. It worked, but it made me nervous. If you have mobility issues, CALL AHEAD and confirm about wheelchair accessibility and its facilities before you book. Do not take their word for it. Check their actual facilities and see how they match up with your requirements.
Rooms - A Mixed Bag, But Mostly Okay (Thank Goodness for AC!)
Let's be real, the rooms are… adequate. Remember, this is an OYO (and budget hotel), so don’t expect the Ritz. But hey, they've got air conditioning! (Essential!) The bed? Comfortable enough after a long day of exploring (or sweating profusely in the tropical humidity). I was relieved to see they had a solid A/C, which helped me immensely.
Internet - Wi-Fi Warriors, Unite!
Okay, this is a MAJOR plus! Free Wi-Fi in the rooms. And surprisingly, it actually worked. I was able to get my work done (mostly), stream some Netflix (essential!), and even annoy my family with endless pictures of beaches. The Wi-Fi in general areas wasn’t the strongest, but in the rooms…allelujah! Also, having Internet access – LAN is available in the rooms! This is great! I don’t use it personally, but great for the rare times you need it!
Cleanliness and Safety - Not Perfect, But They're Trying (with Hand Sanitizer!)
Alright, let's get real. Cleanliness? It wasn't spa-level immaculate, but it was… okay. I mean, they're trying. Daily disinfection is in common areas, they had hand sanitizer everywhere (bonus points!), and the staff looked like they were taking hygiene seriously. They also have staff trained in safety protocols, which is definitely reassuring. I’m not going to lie, the occasional questionable stain on the carpet did give me the side-eye, but hey, you get what you pay for. I wasn't expecting sparkling pristine. They also don't skip out on safety features such as smoke alarms and fire extinguishers.
As for safety, they've got CCTV outside property, 24-hour security, and a front desk at your beck and call. I felt pretty safe, even when wandering around at night.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking - Food Adventures (and Avoiding Food Poisoning)
This is where the Pelangi really shines! Okay, maybe not shines, but it’s got a decent array of food options. They have a restaurant with Asian and International cuisine (yay!), and a coffee shop (double yay!). They also have a poolside bar, perfect for a sundowner. They offer A la carte and buffet options, and even offer options for vegetarian guests.
The Breakfast Buffet: A Rollercoaster of Emotions.
The breakfast buffet… Now, this was a journey. It was a buffet (hurray!), offering a mix of Asian and Western options. The coffee? Drinkable. The pastries? Edible. The mystery meat? Let’s just say I kept a cautious eye on it. Some days it was glorious; other days, I bravely (and cautiously) navigated the buffet, hoping to escape food poisoning. I can't help but note breakfast is included and they offer breakfast takeaway service. As a bonus, they had fresh fruit and a decent selection of juices, which I devoured.
Things to Do, Ways to Relax - Spa Day Dreams (and Gym Reality)
Okay, relaxation. That's what we're here for, right? Well, Pelangi has a pool with a view! (And yes, it's a pretty view.) And a sauna, steamroom. Also, they have a spa/sauna, but I didn't give the spa a try, but I did use the pool and the pool was actually excellent. The water pristine. The views great!
They also boast a fitness center. Ahem. I glanced inside. Let's just say it’s a bit… basic. I’m not sure I’d call it a “gym.” Maybe a “room with some equipment.” But hey, if you're desperate to burn off those buffet calories, you can probably make do.
Services and Conveniences - Convenience is Key
They have a convenience store on-site, which is brilliant. Plus, a concierge, which is a nice touch. The currency exchange was invaluable. Honestly, between the air conditioning, a gift shop and a convenient locale, it was pretty good.
For the Kids - Babysitters and Fun!
If you're traveling with kids, they have a babysitting service and facilities for kids. That's a huge win! Batam is generally very family-friendly, and this hotel seems to cater to that.
Getting Around - Taxi Troubles and Car Park Bliss
They offer airport transfer. Taxi service is also available. I'd recommend pre-arranging a taxi or using a ride-hailing app (Grab works well in Batam) to avoid being overcharged. But the best part? They've got a car park (free of charge!). Hallelujah! Finding free parking in a busy city is a GOLD MINE.
Available in All Rooms - The Essentials
Air conditioning, absolutely. Complimentary tea/coffee, excellent. Free bottled water, a sanity saver in the heat. And the best thing of all? A window that opens. Essential for airing out the room (and maybe letting in a stray refreshing breeze – or more mosquitos!).
The Quirks and the Unspoken Truths
Let's be real: No place is perfect. I saw some stains, the occasional weird smell, and a few… let's call them unique design choices. But hey, this isn't a five-star resort. It’s a budget-friendly option that gets the job done, and does it with a certain quirky charm.
And now, the (un)official ranking of the Pelangi's features:
- Most Essential: Air conditioning. Seriously.
- Most Likely to Make You Question Life Choices: The buffet's mystery meat.
- Most Surprisingly Good: The Wi-Fi.
- Most Underwhelming: The "gym."
- Most Likely to Be Remembered Fondly: The pool.
In Conclusion: The Unbeatable Deal (Seriously)
So, is Batam Island Paradise Found: OYO 93667 Pelangi a paradise? Not exactly. But it's a solid, affordable option for exploring Batam. It's got the essentials, some decent perks, and a general vibe that’s… well, let’s call it “authentic.”
My Verdict: If you're on a budget, want a central location, and aren't expecting luxury, the Pelangi is a great choice. Just remember to pack some hand sanitizer, a healthy dose of optimism, and maybe a mosquito net (just in case!).
The Irresistible Offer (Because I Want You to Go!)
Book Your Batam Bonanza Today!
Ready to escape the ordinary? OYO 93667 Pelangi is offering an unbeatable deal for those seeking adventure without breaking the bank.
Here's what you get:
- Free Wi-Fi! Stay connected and share your amazing Batam adventures.
- Central Location! Explore Batam's best beaches, markets, and cultural attractions.
- Refreshing Pool! Cool off after a day of exploring and soak up the stunning views.
- Daily Housekeeping! Relax and let someone else handle the cleaning.
- Delicious Breakfast Included! Fuel your adventures with a tasty start to the day. (Just keep an eye on the mystery meats!)
But wait, there's more!
- Exclusive Offer: Book through [insert booking link here] and receive a complimentary welcome drink at the poolside bar!
- Limited Time Only: This offer won't
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because we're about to wade into the gloriously chaotic world of my Batam Island adventure, specifically, my stay at the oh-so-charmingly-named OYO 93667 Penginapan Pelangi… which, let's be honest, "Pelangi" (rainbow) sounds way more promising than the actual inn, but hey, expectations are the enemy of a good travel story, right?
Day 1: Arrival - Questionable Noodles and a Mosquito Massacre
- 14:00 (ish): Touchdown at Hang Nadim Airport. The humidity hits you like a warm, damp hug. Except, you know, a hug that's trying to steal your sweat. Finding a taxi felt like a competitive sport. After a tense wait, I found a guy who seemed slightly less likely to kidnap me and haggled down the price. Victory! (Or at least, a temporary ceasefire in the kidnapping wars.)
- 15:00 (more or less): Arrival at Penginapan Pelangi. "Rainbow Inn". Okay, the rainbow promised… was more of a faded, chipped-paint-rainbow. The reception? A lady, bless her heart, who spoke a dialect I'm pretty sure was "Frustrated Indonesian." Check-in took approximately the same amount of time as brewing a pot of tea. (Slow tea). The room? Let's just say the sheets had seen better days. (And I suspect those better days involved less actual washing.)
- 16:00: Attempting to conquer the local food stalls. Found a place that promised "Mie Goreng" (fried noodles). This noodle dish? A culinary symphony of questionable origin. The color was a vivid orange, possibly from industrial food coloring, and the taste… reminiscent of something I'd cooked in my dorm room when I once ran out of everything else and had to get creative. But hey, it filled the hole, right? (And provided a good story later.)
- 18:00: Mosquito Hour. The room's mosquito situation was apocalyptic. I swear, there were more of these bloodsucking fiends than there were stars in the Batam sky. The air smelled vaguely of citronella (the inn did at least provide some, I'll give them that.) My attempt at defence was a desperate flurry of slapping and swatting, resulting in a blood-splattered massacre on the walls. Victory? Not really. I woke up a pin cushion.
- 19:00: Despair. I spent the rest of the evening plotting my escape and wondering if I could possibly sleep in a full mosquito net and then… no, I did not have a mosquito net.
Day 2: Ferry Fiascoes and Seafood Shenanigans (mostly the former)
- 08:00: After a fitful night, fueled by mosquito bites and existential dread, the morning calls. Breakfast was… well, breakfast at the inn was best not discussed. Opted for instant noodles I'd brought from home because I'm nothing if not resourceful.
- 10:00: Taking the ferry to some island or the other that sounded fun at the hostel, maybe a small island, or maybe not. The "ferry" turned out to be a glorified fishing boat. The sea? Choppy as hell. Me? Seasick. It was a truly magnificent symphony of vomiting and regretting my life choices.
- 12:00: Finally, after what felt like an eternity, some land. The island was picturesque, but I was too busy recovering from my sea sickness to appreciate it. I was green, as in the color of a sickly Kermit the Frog.
- 14:00-ish: Seafood lunch! This was the saving grace! The grilled fish was delicious, the prawns were bursting with flavor, and the sauce…oh, the sauce! (even despite my seasick stomach) I almost forgot the ferry of doom. Almost.
- 16:00: Another ferry. This time the crew of the ferry crew were friendly, and offered me some of the seasickness drugs. Bless their hearts, the seas were calm. I made it back to my hellhole- I mean, inn - with only a slightly green tinge, instead of a full-blown Kermit color scheme.
- 18:00: An early night to prepare for the next day. I tried to stay out of the mosquitoes way, but with no net, it was impossible. I went to sleep dreaming that this was all a dream, and would wake up with a beautiful view.
Day 3: The Shopping Spree That Never Happened and the Last Stand
- 09:00: After a final, slightly less horrifying night, the sun finally made itself known. Breakfast, consisting of more instant noodles (I am not proud), and a desperate hope that the inn's coffee wouldn't be actively toxic. It was, as expected: weak, bitter and probably from a coffee bean that had passed away during the previous year.
- 10:00: Armed with a map (and a healthy dose of skepticism), I set out for a shopping mall. This was the plan. I needed some souvenirs, and a place to cool off from the heat.
- 11:00: The shopping mall? It was a ghost town. Well, not entirely, but it was mostly deserted. The "boutiques" had limited supplies, and the air conditioning appeared to be on a strict budget. I bought a fridge magnet and a t-shirt. Victory? Meh.
- 13:00: Lunch. I had resigned myself to the culinary choices. Found a local eatery with what looked like edible food, and managed to escape the meal relatively unscathed - maybe the food had the same thought?
- 15:00: One last, valiant attempt to enjoy the inn. Trying to ignore the various noises, smells, and the creeping feeling that I was being slowly devoured by a swarm of tiny vampires, I sat on the little balcony, and then…
- 16:00: Check out. The woman at the reception smiled. As if she knew what I'd gone through. (She probably did). I said a polite goodbye and walked out into the Batam sun.
- 17:00: Airport. Waiting for the flight I had to get out of there. It's not that the place was bad, it's just… not for me.
- 19:00: Take off, leaving Penginapan Pelangi and the mosquito menace in the dust.
Final Thoughts:
Would I recommend Penginapan Pelangi? Well… it's an experience. If you're after a slightly grimy, adventure, cheap accommodation, and a crash course in mosquito warfare, then by all means, go for it. If you're looking for luxury, pristine linens, and a mosquito-free environment, maybe look elsewhere. Either way, Batam Island had its moments of charm, even if they were occasionally obscured by questionable noodles and bloodthirsty insects. Would I go back? Probably, I'm a glutton for punish… er, experiences.
Prague's BEST Golf Hotel: Unforgettable Luxury & Fairways!Okay, so Batam Island, Paradise Found: OYO 93667 Pelangi... Sounds... grand. Is it actually good? Be honest. I'm a broke backpacker, okay?
Alright, brace yourself, because opinions time! "Paradise" might be a *slight* overstatement. Think... slightly less "lost city of the gods" and more "perfectly acceptable place to crash after a long day of haggling with taxi drivers." Look, for the price? It's ridiculously good. Yeah, I went in expecting concrete jungle and what I got was... concrete jungle. But with a pool! And a surprisingly decent breakfast. Honestly, that breakfast? Saved me. I mean, I’d blown half my budget already on some ridiculously overpriced durian fruit (totally worth it BTW, even my regret). So Pelangi was a godsend. It's not the Ritz, trust me. Think more... "slightly-above-average motel with a questionable Wi-Fi signal." But. The price... *chef's kiss*. I'd totally recommend it to a broke backpacker like you. Just manage those expectations, okay? I'd go again, no question. Just remember to pack some decent mosquito repellent.
What's the Wi-Fi like? Because, you know, *life* is online now...
Oh, the Wi-Fi. Bless its digital little heart. It's... patchy. Let's just say it's the kind of Wi-Fi that makes you appreciate the art of *waiting*. Like, you might get a video call through, maybe! But don't hold your breath. I spent a good hour staring at a loading symbol, wondering if my mom actually missed me, or if she was just checking to see if I was *still alive* after I told her I was going to Batam. Ended up just sending her a text (eventually). So, yeah… it’s functional. Bring some books. Or, actually, maybe just embrace the disconnect. It makes for a refreshing change, right? Until you need to book your next flight. Then it's pure pain. Ugh. Still, I wouldn't trade it .
Alright, the pool! Is it actually swimmable? Or just a glorified algae farm?
Okay, the pool. This is a biggie. Because let's be real, after a day of trekking through the humid Batam heat... a pool is EVERYTHING. And yes, oh yes, it's swimmable! Hurrah. It's not Olympic-sized, let me tell you. It's more like... a decent sized rectangle. Clean enough, maybe. I definitely didn't develop any weird skin rashes (at least, I don't THINK I did). My main memory of it: people, lots of people. Mostly families with kids. Made me smile. And it was a lifesaver. Honestly, after a late-night food run to a street market (more on that later!), jumping in that pool felt like a dream. So yeah, jump in! Just, maybe, don't do any serious underwater diving. You get what you pay for, right?
What about the rooms? Clean? Or should I pack my own hazmat suit?
Alright, the rooms. This is where things get *interesting*. Clean? Well... "clean-ish." Look, I’m going to be brutally honest here. It wasn’t a sterile environment, okay? But it wasn't a biohazard zone either. There were a few... *questionable* stains on the carpet. And I may or may not have seen a tiny, *very* fast-moving friend scurry across the floor one night. (I named him "Speedy." He wasn't welcome but I didn't have the heart to kill him.) But the sheets *felt* fresh. And the AC worked like a dream. Seriously. After spending the day melting in the humidity, that cold blast was pure bliss. So… pack some hand sanitizer. And maybe a healthy dose of optimism. You know, manage expectations. It's an adventure, not a luxury spa. And hey, you get what you pay for. It does the job.
Breakfast: Is it a buffet? Worth getting up for? Or should I just grab a 7-11 pastry?
Oh, the breakfast! Now *this* is where Pelangi actually surprised me. It's a buffet, yes. And it’s... pretty decent! For the price, it’s an absolute steal. There's the usual suspects: toast, eggs (cooked however you want!), some sort of local noodle dish that varies each day (some were fantastic, some… less so), and always, *ALWAYS* a selection of weird, brightly-colored, suspiciously-sweet pastries. Don't ask. Just... try one. For the experience. And the coffee? It’s strong. Very strong. Basically, it fuels your day, which is what you need. Yes, get up for breakfast! Absolutely. Even if you're a late-night reveler. Especially if you’re a late-night reveler. Because after a night of exploring the local food scene (street food! Oh, the street food!), you'll *need* a massive breakfast to recover. Trust me on this one. So, yeah. Get up. Eat. Be happy.
Location, location, location! Is it a good base for exploring Batam? Or am I going to spend all day in a taxi?
The location... hmmm. Okay. It’s... not smack-bang in the middle of everything, but it's not in the boonies either. You're going to need a taxi or a Grab (the local ride-hailing app). But the taxis aren't *too* expensive, and the drivers are (mostly) friendly. I did have one driver try to scam me, though! I swear I just needed to roll on the floor laughing. I am just too nice. *Ahem*. It's close enough to some of the more touristy areas (like Nagoya, which is a must-do for shopping and food!) and it's also not too far from the ferry terminal. So it's a good starting point. Just be prepared to factor in some travel time. And maybe brush up on your bargaining skills. You’ll need them. For sure.
Okay, the staff. How is the service? Are they friendly? Or do they secretly hate tourists?
The staff! Ah, the unsung heroes of any budget trip. The staff were generally very friendly! They were always smiling, always polite, and always willing to help. My Indonesian is... limited (read: nonexistent). But they were patient with me and my frantic hand gestures. On day one, I lost my key card (classic me), and they replaced it with a smile and a "no problem!" That morning, I was very grateful for that. They were the kind of people who make you feel welcome, even if your room is, shall we say,Where To Stay Now