Casa Angelieri: Italy's BEST Pizza? (You HAVE to See This!)
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into Casa Angelieri. Forget sterile reviews, this is gonna be real Italy, warts and all, pizza and pasta stains included. Is it Italy's BEST pizza? Well, that’s a bold claim, and I’m not one to shy away from a culinary challenge. Let’s see…
The Pizza Proposition (and the Rest… Oh, the Rest!)
First, the elephant in the room (or should I say, the Vespa in the alley): Is their pizza ACTUALLY the best? Look, I’ve eaten pizza from Naples to New York. Pizza is a deeply personal thing. Let’s just say the slice I had at Casa Angelieri knocked my socks off. And a few other things. The crust? Magnifico. The sauce? A whisper of summer tomatoes and joy. The cheese? Melting, perfect, and possibly sent from the heavens. So, no, I can’t definitively say “BEST,” but it's damn close. (I'm going to build on that pizza experience later – trust me, it deserves its own mini-chapter.)
Accessibility & (Oh boy, did I see the) Amenities
Okay, let's be practical before we get lost in pizza dreams. Accessibility? They claim to have facilities for disabled guests. I didn't personally need this, but I did spot an elevator and what looked like ramps. This is a step in the right direction, but you'll want to double-check specifics if this is a dealbreaker for you. I've learned the hard way that "accessible" can have a lot of interpretations.
Now, for the good stuff, the amenities. This is where Casa Angelieri really shines, and also where I started feeling a little overwhelmed (in a good way).
- Internet Access: FREE Wi-Fi everywhere? Yup. Internet, Internet [LAN], Internet services All covered. I mean, I literally streamed a whole season of something or other without a hiccup. Which is crucial, because…
- Things to do, ways to relax: WHERE DO I EVEN BEGIN? Pool with a view? Check. Spa/Sauna? Oh, yes, and with steam room. Look, I spent an hour in that sauna thinking Deep Thoughts and sweating out all my sins. (Okay, maybe not all of them, but a good chunk.) There's a Fitness center, and a gym. I barely glanced at them because, let's be honest, pizza. But if you're into that, go for it. They also have a Massage service. I did partake, and it was… heavenly. They also have Body scrub and Body wrap services which I didn't try but would have, if not for the pizza coma I was in.
- Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: This is where I truly found my happy place. Several Restaurants (including a Vegetarian restaurant – score!), a Bar, and a Poolside bar. They offer Breakfast [buffet] (a glorious spread of Italian pastries, fresh fruit, and, oh, the espresso!) and Buffet in the restaurant. They also offer Asian breakfast, which I didn't try but it's there. Coffee/tea in the restaurant is excellent. And I found solace in the Coffee shop. I went back to the Happy Hour daily. I mean, the amount of delicious options is overwhelming. I could eat Desserts in restaurant for days. Salad in restaurant was a great detox after the pizza. Soup in restaurant was my go to when I feel under the weather. They even have a Snack bar! I was practically living in a food coma the whole time. They offer Room service [24-hour], which I used, and it was a life-saver after a long day of… eating pizza, obviously. There is also A la carte in restaurant, Alternative meal arrangement if you are in mood for change.
Cleanliness and Safety (Now This is Important, Especially Lately)
Okay, let’s get serious for a minute. Post-pandemic, you need to know a place is prioritizing hygiene. Casa Angelieri seems to be doing this right. They have Anti-viral cleaning products, do Daily disinfection in common areas, and staff is trained in safety protocol. There is also Hand sanitizer everywhere. Rooms sanitized between stays. Rooms sanitization opt-out available, which is a nice option. I felt safe, which matters.
Services and Conveniences (The Little Things that Make a Big Difference)
- Daily housekeeping? Yep. My room was cleaned and sparkly every day, like magic.
- Concierge: Always helpful, always smiling, always seemingly able to make the impossible happen.
- Laundry Service: Needed. After I spilled red sauce on myself. (See: Pizza.)
- Cash withdrawal: Handy.
- Luggage storage: Also handy.
- Car park [free of charge]: A HUGE bonus in Italy!
- Currency exchange: Super convenient.
- Ironing service: Saved me from looking like a total crumpled mess.
This all sounded a little too good to be true, to be honest. So, I'm going to be real here: the staff isn't perfect at every aspect - and sometimes they can misunderstand you, or the internet can drop out for a minute or two. But they all have such a fantastic passion to make you feel welcome, to make the experience as stress-free as possible. And THAT matters.
For the Kids Casa Angelieri is indeed Family/child friendly, and offers Kids meal, and Babysitting service. I did not have any kids with me, so I didn't check out the Kids facilities, so I will have to take their word for it, but I am assuming that these extra services will be a big plus for parents.
The Room (My Own Personal Pizza Palace)
Okay, room time. My room was… well, let's just say I could have happily lived there. Air conditioning was a godsend during the midday heat. Blackout curtains? Necessary for those post-pizza naps. Free Wi-Fi (again, vital). In-room safe box? Used it. Mini bar? Used thoroughly. Coffee/tea maker? Needed for the early mornings. The bed was, as they say, like sleeping on a cloud. And the view… Oh, the view. It was a feast for the eyes. There even was a Balcony to enjoy a perfect view. Now, this is a big detail. There's a little reading light on the head board, which just screams 'Read a book'
But the BEST part? The Additional toilet! (Okay, maybe not the "best," but a definite plus when you've eaten your weight in pizza and gelato.) And they had a Separate shower/bathtub. Luxury, people. Pure, unadulterated luxury.
Getting Around
Airport transfer? Available. Taxi service? Easy to find. Car park [on-site] (free, as mentioned).
Let’s Talk Pizza (Because, Seriously, It Needs Its Own Section)
Remember how I said I’d circle back to the pizza? Okay, here's the truth: On the first night, after a harrowing (but beautiful) drive through the Italian countryside, I was exhausted, starving, and skeptical. But I heard whispers of this legendary pizza.
I ordered the Margherita. Simplicity, I thought. Let’s see what you’ve got.
What I got was… an awakening. The crust was charred and chewy, with just the right amount of give. The sauce was sweet and bright, like sunshine bottled. The mozzarella… Oh, the mozzarella. It was so creamy, so perfect, that I swear I closed my eyes and said a little prayer of gratitude. It was the kind of pizza that makes you forget all your troubles, all your worries, all your silly little… everything. It was the kind of pizza that makes you want to weep with joy. (And, yes, I may have shed a tiny tear or two.)
Here’s my only "complaint" – I ate it way too fast. Because, let me be honest, I didn’t want to share. I wanted to savor every bite, but also inhale the whole pie. This pizza is pure, unadulterated joy. And that alone might be worth a trip to Casa Angelieri.
The Imperfections? (Because, Nothing’s Perfect)
Look, Casa Angelieri isn't perfect. There are a few quirks. The decor is a little… classic (read: a touch dated, but that’s Italy, baby!). The hallways could be a little less echo-y. There are a couple of minor things I didn't use, but it exists : Hair dryer,
Escape to Malvern's Majestic Great Malvern Hotel: Your Dream Getaway Awaits!
Okay, buckle up buttercup, because planning a trip to Casa Angelieri in Pizzo, Italy, is more like herding caffeinated cats. But hey, that's what makes it real, right? Here's my attempt at a "schedule", complete with the messy, human bits:
Casa Angelieri & Pizzo: A Whirlwind of Gelato, Sunburns, and Existential Dread (Just Kidding… Mostly)
Day 1: Arrival – AKA "The Glorious Clusterf*ck"
- Morning (Let's call it "Whenever-I-Manage-To-Wake-Up"):
- Get up! I mean, finally get up after the red-eye. The flight felt like I was trapped in a sardine can with crying babies and a dude clipping his toenails. Seriously, Italy, learn to appreciate personal space!
- Find suitcase. Did I grab the right adapter? Pray to the travel gods (or Google) that all the electronics work. I can't live without a working phone!
- The drive to Casa Angelieri. Oh god, the hairpin turns! My stomach's doing somersaults before we even see the coast. Is it the turns, the anticipation, or that weird gas station sandwich I scarfed down? Who knows!.
- Afternoon:
- Arrival at Casa Angelieri! (Hopefully, after several wrong turns… GPS, you are not my friend!)
- Wow. Okay, seriously, wow. The view! The sea! The sun, beating down like a judgmental parent! This place… it's… breathtaking. Okay, I might have teared up a little. Don't judge.
- Unpack (ish). More like toss everything onto a bed and vaguely contemplate organizing it later. Hint: "later" never comes.
- That bed though, Oh the anticipation! (I am a sucker for a good nap).
- Find the gelato shop everyone raves about. Is it really as good as they say? (Spoiler: likely to be a life-altering experience).
- Arrival at Casa Angelieri! (Hopefully, after several wrong turns… GPS, you are not my friend!)
- Evening:
- Attempt Italian phrasebook (fail). Start with "Buongiorno." And end with "Dove sono i bagni?" (Where are the bathrooms? Essential).
- Dinner. Hopefully, something involving seafood. Maybe a pizza. Definitely wine. Lots of wine.
- Stargazing from the balcony. Realize how insignificant I am in the grand scheme of the universe. Combine with gelato-induced bliss and a bit too much wine for a perfect end to the day.
Day 2: Pizzo Exploration & the Tartufo Obsession Begins
- Morning:
- Slow, glorious morning. Coffee on the balcony. Watch the sun glint on the water. Feel the weight of the world lift (for about 15 minutes).
- Wander the streets of Pizzo. Get lost (intentionally). Admire the colourful buildings, the narrow alleyways, the ancient history.
- This part is a must! The castle! The church! The views! The whole town feels like a movie set.
- Afternoon:
- The Tartufo pilgrimage. Oh. My. GOD. The Tartufo ice cream. It's a black truffle gelato bomb encased in chocolate. Pure, unadulterated, deliciousness. I ate one. Then another. Then considered running away and becoming a Tartufo hermit.
- I'm not kidding. This is a life-changing experience. Find a local shop. Get it freshly made. Try all the flavors. Prepare to weep with joy (and possibly a little bit of chocolate-covered regret).
- Sunbathe (with copious amounts of sunscreen, because I'm not trying to be a lobster).
- The Tartufo pilgrimage. Oh. My. GOD. The Tartufo ice cream. It's a black truffle gelato bomb encased in chocolate. Pure, unadulterated, deliciousness. I ate one. Then another. Then considered running away and becoming a Tartufo hermit.
- Evening:
- Sunset aperitivo at a seaside bar. Aperol Spritz in hand, wind in my hair, the smell of the ocean… Is this real life?
- Dinner at a Trattoria (hopefully, one the locals recommend, not the tourist trap!).
- Maybe learn one more phrase in Italian. "Un altro gelato, per favore?" (Another gelato, please?)
Day 3: Beach Day & the Existential Crisis Deepens… Maybe
- Morning:
- Beach day! (Finally). Find a good beach. Hopefully, one with clear water and soft sand. Pack enough sunscreen to coat a small elephant.
- Spend the morning swimming, sunbathing, and watching the world go by.
- The water is SO blue. It's ridiculous! I want to move there and live my life at the beach.
- Sip fresh juice, nibble on local bread, and listen to the waves crashing.
- Beach day! (Finally). Find a good beach. Hopefully, one with clear water and soft sand. Pack enough sunscreen to coat a small elephant.
- Afternoon:
- Lunch at a beachfront shack. Fresh seafood, again. This is the life, right?
- Contemplate the meaning of life while staring at the sea (it’ll probably come to me over a plate of grilled octopus).
- Watch the kids at the beach… the happy, silly, kids! What's their life like? What will my life look like in 5 years? Oh no… Existential Crisis time!
- Go for a walk. Explore the coastline.
- Lunch at a beachfront shack. Fresh seafood, again. This is the life, right?
- Evening:
- Cook dinner at Casa Angelieri. (I say cook, but it may involve heating up pre-made pasta and pretending I made the sauce from scratch).
- Enjoy another sunset, hopefully without getting a sunburn.
- Remember you have a life back home (sigh).
Day 4: Day Trip – Tropea & Regrets
- Morning:
- Drive! The long drive to Tropea. (Hopefully, I haven't lost my mind on the roads).
- Tropea! Gorgeous views, the famous church on the rocks, more picture-perfect Instagram moments for the book!
- If I find parking, I mean, I spent an hour just looking for parking!
- Climb everywhere.
- Eat a sandwich or something.
- Afternoon:
- More gelato!
- See the black and white church on the rocks.
- Go home
- Evening:
- Realize I spent more time driving than actually enjoying anywhere.
- Dinner.
- More wine.
Day 5: Departure (Sob)
- Morning:
- Last glorious sunrise.
- More coffee.
- Pack (again, ish - throwing stuff in a suitcase, hoping for the best).
- One last Tartufo. And maybe a couple to go (for the plane! Yes!)
- Afternoon:
- Drive to the airport (with a heavy heart and a stash of Tartufo).
- Reflect on the amazing trip! Maybe start planning the next one.
- Evening:
- Plane trip. Ugh.
- Home.
Final Thoughts:
This "schedule" is just a suggestion, a loose framework. The best trips, the real ones, are the ones that throw you curveballs, where you get lost, where you stuff your face with gelato until you think you might explode. Embrace the chaos, the imperfections, the unexpected moments. And for the love of all that is holy, eat the Tartufo. You will not regret it. Just try not to shed too many tears when you have to leave. Ciao!
Plano Dallas Getaway: Unbeatable Red Roof Inn Deals!Casa Angelieri: Italy's BEST Pizza? (You HAVE to See This!) - The Messy Truth
Okay, okay… is it REALLY the best pizza in Italy? Because the hype is REAL, right?
Alright, settle down, internet. The "best" is always a loaded word. It's like asking "What's the best color?" (Obviously, it's blue, fight me!). But, *Casa Angelieri*… it’s a contender. A *serious* contender. Think of it this way: Have I eaten pizza there? Yes. Have I dreamt of that pizza, specifically the *Diavola* (more on that later…)? Also yes. Have I spent an ungodly amount of time showing off photos of that pizza to anyone who will listen? Guilty as charged. So, "best"? Maybe not objectively, but in my messy, pizza-loving heart? Potentially. Definitely. Probably. Look, just go, okay? Then tell *me* if it was worth it. Seriously. I need to know I'm not alone in this obsession.
So, what makes this pizza so… magical? Is it the ingredients? The oven? Black magic?
Oh, it's a *combination*. First, the ingredients. They're clearly sourced with a passion that borders on religious fervor. That *fior di latte*? CREAMY. The tomatoes? Bursting with sun-drenched flavour. The basil? Oh, that basil. It's like they're growing it in a garden of pure, unadulterated joy. Then, the oven… I *think* it's wood-fired. I was too busy stuffing my face on my first visit to observe properly. And the black magic? Look, I wouldn't rule it out. There's definitely some kind of culinary sorcery going on. It's the crust that really gets me though. Seriously, *the crust*. It's perfectly charred on the bottom, light and airy inside. It's like a pizza pillow, basically. The best pizza pillow you could imagine.
Tell me about the *Diavola*. Because… I see it everywhere.
THE *DIAVOLA*. Right. Prepare yourself. It's… transformative. It's simple, really. Spicy Calabrian salami, that glorious tomato sauce, the fior di latte… and a perfectly crafted crust. The *Diavola* is more than pizza; it's an experience. My first bite? Pure bliss. Seriously. I closed my eyes and just… savored it. It was like a spicy, cheesy hug. I may have shed a tear. Don't judge me! Okay, fine, judge me. But then *try* the *Diavola*! It's that good. Do you want to know something embarrassing? I ordered a second one when I first visited. A *whole second Diavola*... alone. In the middle of the day. I have no regrets.
The wait times… brutal? Should I bring a book? Maybe a survival kit?
Look, this is Italy. Patience is required. And yes, the wait times *can* be significant. I've waited an hour and a half on a busy Saturday night. That's time spent strategically pacing, trying to avoid eye contact with others who *also* desperately want pizza. I even started practicing my Italian small talk with the door person... just to look occupied. You should absolutely bring a book. Or a podcast. Or a friend to commiserate with. But honestly? The pizza is worth the wait. Trust me on this. Think of it as a pre-pizza pilgrimage, a chance to build anticipation, a test of your pizza devotion. You’ll thank me later. Bring a water bottle and possibly a backup pair of socks (just in case pizza-induced excitement leads to… well, you get the idea).
What about the other pizzas? Are they all as amazing as the *Diavola*?
Okay, okay, I know, I'm obsessed with the *Diavola*. But yes, the other pizzas are also fantastic. The *Margherita* is a classic, perfect for showcasing the quality of ingredients. The *Marinara* is simple perfection. They have seasonal specials, too. I had one with pumpkin and sausage once that was divine. But… *Diavola*. Just… *Diavola*. Seriously, try it first. Then maybe venture out. But start with the *Diavola*. It's a solid foundation for your pizza-loving journey at Casa Angelieri. Because if you don't, are you even really experiencing Casa Angelieri? I don't know. I'm starting to question myself... again.
The Ambiance: Is it fancy? Casual? What should I wear?
Not fancy. Thank God. It's casual. It's a *restaurant* not a museum. Think… lively, bustling, maybe a little loud. You’ll hear the clatter of plates, the sizzle of the oven, the general hum of happy diners. Wear whatever you're comfortable in. I've seen everything from jeans and t-shirts to sundresses. The point is, it's not about the clothes; it's about the pizza. And possibly the red wine. (They have good red wine.) Don't show up in a tuxedo though, okay?. Just... don't. It would be awkward. And you'd feel out of place. And no one wants that!
Any tips to survive the Casa Angelieri experience? Like, MUST-DO’s or MUST-AVOID’s?
Okay, intel. First: **GO EARLY**. Seriously. Beat the crowds. It's worth it. Second: **ORDER THE *DIAVOLA***. (I know, I know… I’m repetitive). Third: **Learn a few basic Italian phrases**. "Una *Diavola*, per favore" will go a long way. Fourth: **Don't be afraid to share a pizza.** They're big. Or, don't share. I won't judge. Fifth: **Leave room for dessert!** They often have something delicious. And you'll need something to cleanse the palate after all that spicy, cheesy heaven. And a *MUST-AVOID*? Overthinking. Just relax, trust the process, and prepare to have your pizza-loving world rocked. And seriously, take pictures. For the memories... and for your Instagram. We all need a little pizza porn in our lives, right?